Earthquake in Turkey | Five flights from El. Venizelos send humanitarian aid – Mission with humanitarian aid to Syria as well
Defence Redefined
Published on 09/02/2023 at 09:50

Greece is sending five aircraft with humanitarian aid to Turkey, through the European Civil Protection Mechanism, to manage the immediate consequences of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck the country in the early hours of February 6.

In order to relieve the affected and meet the needs that have arisen, Greece has sent health and medical equipment and basic necessities, such as 7,500 blankets, 1,500 beds, and 500 tents, which can accommodate families and be used as mobile clinics.

The mission of the first wave of humanitarian aid to Turkey departs from Eleftherios Venizelos Airport and will be accompanied by the Minister of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection, Christos Stylianidis, and the Secretary General of Civil Protection, Vassilios Papageorgiou.

Employees of Eleftherios Venizelos Airport load medical equipment onto an Aegean Airlines plane, as part of our country’s aid mission to Turkey. As announced by the competent Ministry, Aegean Airlines aircraft will operate five flights to Turkey so as to transport all the material, aiming to reach the affected people as soon as possible.

Also read: Civil Defence | Recommendations for Public Self-Protection and Safety Measures in case of Earthquake

The mission is carried out in consultation with the Turkish authorities, with the assistance of the Turkish ambassador in Athens, and in cooperation with the European Commission, in the context of the activation of the European Civil Protection Mechanism.

It is noted that 75% of the cost of transporting the materials to be made available will be covered by the European Civil Protection Mechanism, while the remaining 25% of the national participation will be sponsored by AEGEAN Airlines.

Greece was one of the first countries to be on the side of the earthquake victims of Turkey, having two search and rescue teams that immediately supported the operations in the region that suffered a biblical disaster from the earthquake.

The Greek mission has so far rescued five people alive from the ruins, including three children. According to the latest estimates, the dead exceed 16,000. It is the deadliest earthquake of the last decade worldwide.

In Turkey, 12,873 people have lost their lives, while in Syria another 3,162, according to the authorities and medical sources, bringing the total number of casualties to 16,035.

Also read: Akkuyu | “In case of an earthquake, the Mediterranean and Mersin will be destroyed” – Claims for the nuclear power plant – VIDEO

Humanitarian aid in Syria as well

Greece is also sending humanitarian aid to Syria, as a mission is preparing to depart immediately, after the relevant request to the European Civil Protection Mechanism was activated by Syria.

According to information from the Ministry of Climate Crisis and Civil Protection – in response to some criticisms that have been made regarding the fact that aid was sent to Turkey and not to Syria – Greece had already started preparations the day before yesterday for the organization of the mission in Syria. However, as was clarified, it could not proceed with this move, as it is necessary to activate the request for aid from the country affected by the disaster.

As noted by an officer of the Ministry on this matter, the European Civil Protection Mechanism is the channel through which the EU member-states can coordinate and efficiently channel humanitarian aid to affected areas.

After the submission of the request by Syria, Greece is proceeding at a fast pace in sending aid, in cooperation and coordination with our European partners. The aid consists of sending medicines, tents, and general supplies for the support and care of people who have been left homeless and need immediate assistance, according to the request that Syria has activated.

The aid request from Syria contains a long list: aid or search and rescue services, medical supplies and medical equipment, food, and many other types of emergency aid.

With information from: Euronews, APA MPA

Also read: PROMETHEUS 2021 | Natural disaster scenarios and coordination of services




Pin It on Pinterest

Share This