BEFORE THE EARTHQUAKE
At home / office / school:
- Properly attach shelves and bookshelves to the walls.
- Do not place refrigerators and tall furniture in places where they may move and block potential exits.
- Place large and heavy objects as well as anything that can easily fall or break at a low spot.
- Remove heavy objects over beds and sofas.
- Secure lamps and ceiling fans.
- Mark the most secure places at home, at school, at your workplace to resort to them in case of an earthquake:
- under resistant tables, desks, or benches
- away from glass surfaces and libraries
- away from exterior walls
- Check proper operation of the electricity and gas supply network.
- Inform your family members/office staff about how the main switches on electricity, water, and gas are off.
- Get a first aid kit.
- Place a fire extinguisher in an accessible place and practise using it.
Τι πρέπει να γνωρίζουμε για τον σεισμό ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/jz1lGnonuJ
— Olivia Michaelidou (@CivilDefenceCYP) September 28, 2021
DURING THE EARTHQUAKE
If you are indoors:
- Stay calm. Do not panic.
- Cover yourself under a sturdy piece of furniture (table or desk).
- If there is no such furniture, kneel in the middle of the room, reducing your height as much as possible and protect your head and neck using your hands.
- Avoid large glass surfaces (windows, glass partitions) or furniture and objects that may injure you.
- Do not try to leave the house.
- Do not go out on the balcony.
If you are in a tall building:
- Move away from windows and exterior walls.
- Do not use the elevator to escape. There is a risk of falling or getting stuck in it due to power cuts or distortion in its drivers.
- Do not stand near open windows, on balconies, or on terrace edges. You can fall into the void.
If you are in an entertainment venue, mall, or department store:
- Stay in the area until the vibration stops.
- Do not get carried away by the panicked crowd that moves erratically towards the exits, because you risk being trampled.
If you are outdoors:
- Avoid standing near buildings, rocks, electric poles, or objects that may fall and injure you.
- If you have a bag or briefcase with you, cover your head with them.
- Get away from the shores. After a strong earthquake, high waves may be created that may swiftly sweep the shores.
If you are in the car:
- Park as fast and carefully as you can away from high-rise buildings, piles of rocks.
- Avoid passing through tunnels, bridges, or overpasses.
AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE
- Immediately help protect children, but also the disabled, the sick, or the elderly.
- If a fire breaks out somewhere, put it out before it gets bigger.
- Do not touch power cords or objects that touch cables. You are at risk of electric shock.
- If you are trapped somewhere and you cannot escape, try in every way to give signs of life, so that rescue teams can locate you.
- Do not attempt to move a seriously injured person unless their life is in immediate danger.
- Do not enter damaged buildings until the competent authorities have assured you that it is safe to do so.
- Do not use the phone unless needed. Blocking telephone lines prevents the coordination of the actions of the competent Services and the mission dealing with the effects of the earthquake.
- Respond to calls for help, but do not move around unnecessarily, so that rescue teams can move around unhindered.
Source: Civil Defence
Hellenic Coast Guard | Warning shots fired because of suspicious vessel – Another Turkish provocation?
The Hellenic Coast Guard fired warning shots in the air because of a Turkish vessel sailing under the Comoros flag, which suspiciously entered Greek territorial waters…
Hellenic Coast Guard | Mother and daughter evacuated in Malta area of responsibility – Girl’s death has been sadly confirmed
Sadly, the four-year-old who was unconscious after being rescued in Malta’s maritime area of responsibility has passed away…
USA – Bulgaria | Exercise for the detection of nuclear and radioactive material at border checkpoints
A joint US-Bulgarian exercise focusing on the verification and practical application of national procedures for detecting…
Intracom Defense (IDE) announces a new contract award by BOEING for the production of electromechanical assemblies for V-22 Osprey…
Cyprus | Agreement signed with the USA for the provision of logistics services on ships – VIDEO and Photos
On Monday, the Republic of Cyprus and the USA signed the Bilateral Agreement “Acquisition and Cross – Servicing Agreement – ACSA” on the…
Alongside the lifting of the US embargo on the sale of arms to the Republic of Cyprus, military cooperation with the USA and Greece…
The Cypriot company Eight Bells participated at the International Defence and Security Exhibition Eurosatory 2022 in Paris…
The “Lemnos” frigate, which participated in the well-known “embolism” incident where it caused damage to the Turkish “Kemal Reis”…
The Ukrainian government presented on Tuesday the security guarantees it considers necessary for the country after the end of the war with Russia…